Inflammatory Bowel Disease
Inflammatory bowel disease is chronic, incurable conditions that impact the gastrointestinal tract. Most frequently the small and/or large intestines. Other parts of the body can also be impacted by inflammation, including the eyes, liver, and joints. Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis are the most easily recognised forms of IBD.
What are the symptoms of IBD?
- Blood in the stool
- Abdominal pain and cramping
- Reduced appetite
- Unintended weight loss
How can nutrition and lifestyle management help?
- Reduce gut symptoms including improving bowel movements and reducing abdominal pain
- Identify triggers that contribute to gut pain
- Increasing the variety of the diet to increase the diversity of the gut-microbiome.
- Structuring food patterns and nutrition for optimal energy
- Address fatigue or other symptoms by addressing nutrient deficiencies