This 2-hr workshop in studio or via zoom, is tailored to empower women to better understand the physiology of birth and learn what strategies they can use to best prepare for labour, birth and post-partum. The workshop will support both the physical and mental health needs of women during pregnancy and as they prepare for birth. Informed by evidence-based pelvic physiotherapy, yoga and mindfulness, this workshop includes:
- Evidence- based and practical education exploring physiology of birth, strategies for each stage of labour, perineal preparation, non-pharmacologic pain relief and post-natal recovery
- Pelvic floor awareness, flexibility and relaxation to prepare the body for birthing
- Yoga-inspired moves and supported postures to release pregnancy-related tensions and prepare the pelvis for birth
- Evidence-based movements and postures to help you naturally progress labour, and what the key differences are for first and second stage labour
- Education and practise of optimal positioning for birthing to minimise time in second stage and prevent birth trauma
- Understand how to make evidence-informed decisions and feel empowered for your birthing experience
- Explore non-pharmacologic pain management options including TENS
- Breathing practices for contractions, between contractions, pushing and crowning
- Deep relaxation practices to combat fatigue, manage stress, and utilise in early labour
- Discussion on how to facilitate optimal recovery following birth
Participants will receive resources to support their practices at home.
Who is the Physio Pregnancy & Birth Skills Workshop Suitable For?
This Pregnancy and Birth Skills workshop is suitable for pregnant women during the second and third trimesters. We find it especially helpful from 28 weeks onwards when you are feeling bigger and starting to think more about your birth experience.
It is run as a women-only group, birth partners are not included in the workshop. All resources received can be shared with your birth partner.
1 hour 1:1 sessions are available if you would prefer you birth partner to be included. Please contact reception to book.